Home Media Initiatives About CBA Events Image Bank Contact Atom/RSS

KONY 2012: PHONY STORY TO WHIP UP (MORE) WAR IN AFRICA

Posted on March 10, 2012 9:43 AM | Permalink | 17 Comments | Printer-Friendly View | Share This Article

For further information:

NORTHERN UGANDA: HIDDEN WAR, MASSIVE SUFFERING:

ANOTHER WHITE PEOPLE'S WAR FOR OIL

keith harmon snow

&

The Spectre of Continental Genocide
keith harmon snow

Written by: RT & KHS

Photography Credits: RT

Categories: , , , , ,

17 Comments

Joanne Tawfilis | March 11, 2012 3:32 AM

I believe what Keith Harmon Snow because I have been following this situation for years; and at my age and after my experiences and trying to stay informed, knowing and meeting Acholi people, and being an advocate through TRUE advocacy groups like CEGUN (Campaign to End Genocide Now), I know how Americans react emotionally at first to such "documentaries". Also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to the pattern of how these bad guys are used by and for various sources until they suddenly die of some illness; just look at history (Shah, Marcos,and a whole string of others, big fish in little ponds, or little fish in big ponds).... I think the motive of Invisible Children has changed from what started; and it happened very quickly and in my view as a dear friend recently commented; "It's difficult to find an honest journalist these days; they are more like Hollywood Stars--full makeup and stating what sells; manipulating the public to "believe" because they are ruled by emotion versus fact". The cries for help from Uganda started from the voiceless years ago and the one good thing that has come from this film is that more people, specifically Americans now might know where Uganda is on the map. Bravo Keith for telling the "truth".

Mark E. Smith | March 11, 2012 11:02 PM

Thanks, keith!

A very good critique of the Kony scam was published here:

I found your video on The Plunder and Depopulation of Central Africa http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yg6kPY7QC3M to be extremely effective in helping people on Twitter see through the IC propaganda.

John Baptist Ayela | March 12, 2012 9:21 AM

Joanne,
I cannot thank you sufficiently for your kind and perfectly accurate remarks that briefly represent the untold sufferings that the Acholi people of Northern Uganda have gone through and continue to go through under the USA-backed NRM Dictatorship under Museveni. The NRM government instead of protecting the people and their property as required both by Uganda's Constitution as well as the International Treatiies to which Uganda is signatory, has consistently waged war against its own people. Museveni and his Generals have diabolically exacted the crime of genocide against the Acholi with profound brutality and impunity for the last 26 years. While the genocide has been documented with great clarity in numerous writings, the Unholy Pentagon constiuting the UN Security Council , the Western Powers which occupy a dominant psition in International Relations economically, politically, and militarily have deliberately and appallingly been insensitive to tthe perennial cries of the Acholi people. The USA is busily building its Empire in the great Lakes Region of Africa, despite the fact that it has huge resources which could be directed towards genuinely working for peace for all. The USA governmental action represents the greates shame on earth and must be unequivocally condemnded for it. What we need is a public debate to enable an understanding of the key issues in Northern Ugand. Only then can we boldly tackle them and and build for the future. US imperialist propaganda wil not help. I will be more than happy to present my humble contribution to this debate. Please send these remarks tp President Obama himsel and his Secrfetary of State, Mrs. Clinton.

Colton | March 12, 2012 9:55 AM

Dear Mr. Keith Harmon Snow,
Please learn how to pronounce Uganda correctly - one would think that after 20+ years experience in Africa, you would know how to say a country's name properly.
Thank you.

Ryan F | March 12, 2012 6:21 PM

Colton. Some people complain that it's pretentious when Westerners pronounce foreign country's names correctly. Others complain when they don't.

You can't win with people. Your criticism is a little over the top.

Mike Corbeil | March 12, 2012 8:53 PM

Excellent interview, Keith!

And I agree with Ryan F about Colton's "over the top" criticism. I didn't notice any mis-pronunciation of the name Uganda by Keith and if he did that, then it's of trivial importance, i.e., doen't matter; and Keith wouldn't do that meaning to be offencive about Ugandans. Of that, we can be definitely certain. He's more than established the fact that he greatly cares about human rights and has been working for the rights of Africans for MANY years.

Colton | March 12, 2012 11:05 PM

Ryan and Mike,
Thanks for the input. I am very interested in what Keith has to say, and I appreciate his voice in all this. As an American who spent my life from the time I was 8 months old until I was 17 years old living in Central, East, and North Africa, I just find it bothersome when someone speaks as an authority on a country and mispronounces its name.
It distracted me the whole time the interview was going on. I admit I reacted a bit harshly, and I apologize for that. Keith, thank you for what you do and please forgive my abrupt words.

keith harmon snow | March 12, 2012 11:19 PM

I was not offended by the request/suggestion Colton, and in all due respect to everyone, I think it's a fair criticism. I am at present uncertain of the correct pronunciation: sounds like oo-gone-da? (I've always said you-gan-da.) Please feel free to correct me. Also, must have been amazing growing up in those places. I'm jealous. And, must be as hard to watch the changes there as it is for me to watch changes in my hometown. Thanks to everyone for your serious concerns for social justice. No apologies necessary. Solidarity.

Emy | March 14, 2012 2:29 AM

just want to say thanks keith, keep up the good work, I've learned a lot from your articles, very well written and sourced, wondering if you've any research on Nigeria and Boko Haram situation etc. Wondering how I can help with your work Anyways scary times across the globe peace brother.

Matthew Franklin | March 17, 2012 9:45 AM

Keith,

You mention that Kony has an office in Washington. Can you provide more on US liaising or otherwise having contact with Kony?

Thanks

M

Mike Corbeil | March 19, 2012 12:40 PM

Coltan,

I apologize for having only thought that you were a mindless critic blindly or naively criticizing Keith. After just reading your reply and the one from Keith, i can only promote, as he said, Solidarity! This world desperately needs this, greatly; and we're awfully lacking of it. We also lack it in the Americas, where the indigenous peoples continue to be genocided, and I don't mean only South America; all of the Americas, instead. Humanity is in great suffering across much of our world or planet.

As for the pronunciation of Uganda, I don't know if I've had it right, but pronounce the U as U, like "you" sounds, and ganda as a westerner can be expected to pronounce it; not like gonda, but ganda. So my pronunciation would be like you-ganda, phoenetically. Right, wrong? I don't know.

Thank you for replying with your explanation.

Mike Corbeil | March 19, 2012 12:46 PM

Colton,

I apologize again, for in my immediately prior post I addressed you as Coltan. Please don't let that mistake disturb you, for it wasn't intentional and while writing in the comment box, your post was not within view.

Mike C.

Mike Corbeil | March 20, 2012 1:06 AM

Keith and Colton,

Uganda - Pronunciation :

That dictionary always provides the phonetics for words looked up. It's illustrated with special characters that don't copy over to here, but we can also play a one-word (one in this case anyway) audio.

It would be interesting to know from Colton if the audio played for Uganda is right, according to his many years in that country. It's how I've always pronounced the name, and it's correctly pronounced as far as a westerner would be able to guess; but is it how the name is pronounced by Ugandans? And do Ugandans of different parts of the country pronounce the name differently, or all in the same way?

Variable pronunciations occur within a single country and the USA is an example.

Gloucester and Worcester, Massachusetts, are two examples. During years living in Framingham, Mass., we pronounced the names of these two locations as if they'ld be spelled something like Gloster and Worster or Wooster, but with the oo pronounced with with the words look and book, rather than rooster. In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, some people would laugh whenever I pronounced the names of either of these two locations, for there people pronounced the names as they should be; based on the spellings. I also found a similar reaction in western USA.

For Uganda, I guess the U would be pronounced the same by everyone, but maybe the first or even both a's are variably pronounced. On the other hand, some people could pronounce the U like the word "you", while others pronounced it like with the y dropped from "you".

Anyway, I've pronounced it like you-ganda, which is the pronunciation from the audio in the above dictionary.

Mike Corbeil | March 20, 2012 4:18 AM

I don't wish to be considered a spammer, here, but wish to add a link for a piece about Kony 2012 and Invisible Children's LRA Crisis Tracker system both being scams, according to the author of the article. And I'll include a link for a James Corbett report.

The end of the article provides a link to a forum at the website, btw, and I got the link for the piece from a reader post for the 12-minute video report by James Corbett a link is provided for further below. Some readers here may want to listen to the report and then comment on it at GR as well as here.

Fred Musoke posted a comment about the Corbett report not having included any Ugandan sources, though a Ugandan woman is interviewed. For that reason, he provided the link for the above article while saying it's from a Ugandan source.

Keith, it would be interesting to see what you think about this Corbert report, for it seems pretty good to me and I appreciate the part of about the 2009 discovery of a rich oil reserve under a lake in Uganda; as well as work to exploit this oil already being underway or certainly planned. Starting at the beginning of the report is the topic of this oil discovery and drilling for it. Next are: part of a clip from an interview with Pepe Escobar; the Chinese government wanting to do business with Uganda for oil, or having already begun; and U.S. or western oil corporations wanting to (as always) act to get this oil. This makes up most of the first half of the report and then a young Ugandan woman who I guess is from northern Uganda, or evidently knows what the people there need most of all, is briefly interviewed. And what she says seems to concord with what the kony2012-is-a-scam.org article concludes with about Ugandans and which is that they don't need this hunt for Joseph Kony, for what they need is to be able to survive; needing medicine, food, clothing and perhaps some other essentials.

And then James Corbett focuses on Washington furthering its global militarisation by doing or working on doing as you said about Washington wanting to gain public support for building up U.S. forces in Uganda.

"US Launches PR Campaign for Ugandan Oil Intervention"
posted March 15, 2012

According to the kony2012-is-a-scam.org article, there're 13 rebel groups that either are operating or have operated in the same region as Joseph Kony, and Invisible Children's LRA tracking omits or hides violence committed by groups other than reports of suspected LRA crimes, or crimes the LRA is accused of being responsible for without proof that the LRA is guilty. It's something like that regarding the LRA, anyway; but, Invisible Children apparently omits reporting crimes committed by other groups.

The article also refers to and cites Patrice Kabimba, who's "a local Lynstar's Telstar 11N Satellite representative". He finds it pointless for Invisible Children to be "spending lots of money building High frequency communication masts in the area", because "Masts of that nature are subject to vandalism and haunted by poor transmissions due to thickness of forests in that area". He also says using masts is much more expensive. Taking all of this into account, he finds it suspect that Insible Children would want to use these masts and wonders what the real intent for using them is.

He says Telstar's communication is much less expensive, much more reliable for Ugandan geography, and much more difficult for vandals to damage the devices used and which are placed at the tops of trees; I guess tall ones, for he says vandals won't be able to get to these devices.

What could Invisible Children's intention be for using masts? Could they be used by the U.S. military and no one else, or when the military uses them, then no one can capture the air waves, or ... what, exactly, I wonder? Maybe it's to profit a U.S. high-tech company that makes these masts?

The U.S. military uses satellite communications, right?

bertram hickman | March 30, 2012 1:46 PM

keith keep the good work up u ganda ooganda, the facts are this has been going on for a long time the war there. i remember while there a school was invaded. I had been in touch with the Makerere University, at that time one of the teacher had taken in the some of the children who had fled from captivity. They had lessons on fish farming, brick building, and teaching reading skills.
I still can not beleive it has taken so long for the media to expose of this propblem. What about the children who are effecte? They need a place to go to call home and have a chance, trades to be taught. Or they go to the streets
be well

first savings credit card application | April 12, 2012 5:15 AM

Great blog here! Also your site loads up fast! What host are
you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

chiropractor queens ny | October 10, 2012 1:47 AM

When someone writes an article he/she maintains
the plan of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it.
So that's why this post is outstdanding. Thanks!